Tuesday, March 3, 2009

False Advertising

Photobucket
Once upon a time when I was a kid of tweenish age and sensibilities, I was busy reading comics and not getting laid (and really this period lasted way longer than it needed to). There was a brilliant ad that was in all of the X-Men comics that I read. It simply captivated my geekish virgin brain. My imagination ran wild once it soaked into my brain. The ad, simply implied that 1 in 4 children was a mutant. For those of you who were off experimenting with dope and beer and getting laid back in 1987, a mutant in the Marvel Universe is the next step in evolution from homosapien to something superior and the change happened at puberty! And when this ad came out, yes, you guessed it, the pubes were a’growing. Mutants were, due to their genetics, gifted with super-powers. Some of these powers were amazing and others were pure curses. Whether good or ill, these powers made regular folks hate and fear the difference in them. Maybe it was because I was a budding gay man who already could sense the immense difference inside my tween soul. Maybe it was simply because I was a dork, but my brain raced each time I saw this ad. I already understood the danger and thrill in being different. I knew I was that 1 out of 4 that was a filthy mutie. I was certain my super-powers would form at any second. Would I have powers like Storm – To control the Weather! Or like Colossus – To turn into a man of organic steel! Or like Blob – and gain 700 pounds! Each day was a different power. Each day a different adventure. Would I have hair styles like any of these folks?
Photobucket

Slowly I came to the realization that I sadly was not a mutant.

no powers manifested. Damnit.

But still it’s a cool ad. I bought it.

4 comments:

  1. I suspect you have a few super powers that F can attest to :-)

    I'm still waiting for my mutant gene to manifest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say you don't have "any mutant powers". As Sean alluded to above, you have the ability to make the kids turn from screaming monsters to laughing monkeys in 0.7 seconds, and that's a pretty awesome power to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every gay comic collecting kid dreamed that they'd have mutant powers manifest when they hit that age and they could be "rescued" by Professor X and brought to his school for gifted youngsters where they could actually be themselves, with others like them. The whole mutant/gay analogy still strikes a nerve in me when I think about it.

    And while I mostly didn't care what my powers would be, I wished flight was a part of them. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover is badass. I have that issue.

    ReplyDelete