Friday, February 6, 2009

....and so are the Days of My Life

Average Day in the Life

5:40 AM : So I wake up to my alarm on my cell phone. and I’ll be honest. I am a morning person. I wake up happy and ready to face the world. So don’t cry for me Argentina

5:45 AM: After making coffee for my snoring boyfriend (and picking out the soggy wet filter from the day before’s coffee, seriously it’s like leaving the toilet seat up.) I get into the shower to wash yesterday away.

6:00 AM: Get the first rug rat out of bed. He wakes up generally happy and laughs and giggles while saying “no” to almost everything I ask of him. Q: Want the red shirt or the transformers shirt A: No. Get him dressed and get him cereal with milk.

6:05 AM: Get second kiddo up. This one is more dicey, he’s either in a brilliantly happy mood or as dour and cranky as his daddy. If he’s happy it’s questions about wether or not the Hulk could beat up Wolverine. Or Rogue could steal Cyclops’ powers. If he’s sour, it’s tears and moans about anything and everything. He gets cereal (with or without the Milk – depending on the day).

6:15 AM: Give Freddy his second “It’s time to get up nudge” and finish getting dressed.

6:30 AM: Off to work. Kisses from the kids and the boyfriend. Grab my lunch and Diet DPs (These days it’s actually some generic store brand *Tears*)

6:45 AM: Work Work Work. Diet Dr. Pepper. Talk Comics. Work Work Work. Lunch. Talk Comics. Work Work Work. Diet Dr. Pepper.

4:30 PM: Drive home. Depends on the day of the week on whether or not I grab one or both or none of the boys from Day Care or School.

4:45 PM: Home with the boys. Freddy makes dinner and I hang with the kiddos. We talk about how the day went. Watch cartoons.

5:30 – 5:45 PM: Eat Dinner. Freddy is a wonderful cook. He’s Nathan’s favorite by far because of this fact.

6:15 PM: Freddy is usually gone to school by then on most days, so it’s homework or coloring time or dessert time if we’ve been extra good that day.

6:45 PM: Cartoons! These days it’s Wolverine and the X-Men for Adrian and Mickey Mouse Club House for Nathan. So we alternate. Some nights, it’s playing with toys instead of cartoons. Or BOTH at once. Which takes talent and skill.

7:10 PM: Talk to Yia Yia (My Mom refuses to be called Grandma) The boys love talking to her and it keeps us all connected. Since we talk almost every night, the phone calls are short and sweet. Freddy thinks it’s weird, I am sure, that I talk to her every night, but it’s just who I am. My mom and I have had are ups and downs, but she’s my mom.

7:15 PM: It’s bath time. Nathan alternately loves or hates bath time. Adrian pretty much always loves bath time. He’s very interested in being clean. He’s my kid who cries when he gets cheetos on his fingers. Nathan, on the other hand, revels in mess. The more messy/dirty/disgusting he can get, the happier he is.

7:30 PM: It’s story time. We read a book. Or choose to get told a story from Pop’s brain (usually involving the boys as princes with super-powers and generally we fight Magneto. I’ve tried other antagonists, but Magneto tends to work his way into any story I tell, at Adrian’s behest. He loves to hate Magneto. Yes, I know he’s going to be a geek.

7:45 PM: Lights out, but leave the door open and the hall light on. Kisses and cuddles and our special song I sing to each. Sometimes an extra story is involved, but generally Adrian goes right to bed. Nathan does this whole sneaky spy thing and generally tries to put every toy he owns into his bed with him.

8:00 PM: It’s clean up time! Dishes and Laundry are my greatest nemesis. Nightly I do at least a load of each. Feed the dogs and the fish.

9:00 PM: It's either read a comic book, get on ComicBookResources, or the idiot box. More lately it's been all about the Roku. Freddy bought me this magical appliance that turns my netflix “Watch It Now” function into my TV. It’s super cool. I’ve watched 4 seasons of The Office and a season and a half of 30 Rock so far. It’s kinda amazing. And shall be the death of network TV.

9:30 PM: Freddy gets home from school and has his whole, “I’m a hot college guy vibe on.”

10:00 PM: Freddy MUST watch the News, he’s got a Weather Man fetish. Anchor Man fetish too actually. It’s easily his favorite 30 minutes of TV.

10:30 PM: Lights out. Rinse and Repeat.

This is my so called life. I honestly can't imagine it any other way.

4 comments:

  1. Now when you say "nudge", you mean???

    And I DO NOT have an obsession with weather "men". I have an obsession with ONE particular weather man...at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an obsession reading about other gay dads. Keep it coming.


    Brian in Danbury

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and a glimpse into your daily life. A life many would be envious of no doubt...but where do you find time to work on the hidden gay agenda? Or does Freddy handle that while he's delirious in his cake hole?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People who wake up happy and ready to face the world worry me. Ken is exactly this way and I've been trying to understand it for the past 15 years. If I haven't understood it by now, I'm just never going to.

    Totally jealous that you can talk comics comics comics at work. I mean, I could, but no one would have any idea what I was talking about. Try explaining that what Hawkman wears is a standard issue Thanagarian police man's uniform to someone who knows nothing about law enforcement on other planets.

    ReplyDelete