Sunday, February 8, 2009

Color Blind...

So my kiddo no longer is color blind. I knew it’d happen some day. I just wasn’t expecting it so soon. So Freddy and I are on the couch watching America’s Next Top Model (Don’t judge), and Adrian comes up to Freddy and says “You’re darker than Poppa. You’re darker than me and Nathan too. You’re Black.”
I look at Freddy and he looks at me and then we both look at the kid. He compares arm colors to Freddy and then goes back to playing. After about 15 seconds the following conversation occurs:

Me: Hey kiddo, where did you hear about the concept of skin color?
Adrian: My friend [Redacted]. He and his mom are both black.
Freddy: Oh yea? I don’t think you understand that there are some broad concepts you’re talking about kid. You could make people sad if you treat them differently or talk about them differently.
Me: What did they say?
Adrian: That they are black. Their skin is darker.

He goes over to the light and turns it off. “See, we’re all black now.” Turns it back on, “now it’s only Daddy, he’s darker than the three of us.”

Stunned silence from the parental figures who can’t figure out what to say. The way I typically address concepts he brings to the table that I want him to be very clear on is little bits over time. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I want him to understand that it's who the person is that deterimines what you think of them. And I'm raising him to understand that it's our differences that make us powerful. lovable. interesting. unique. Strong. and I'm confident that this is just the first step in that process.

Why such a big deal? See, both of our kids are biracial. Race and Color will need to be educated upon at some point. Eventually we’re going to need to have a plan on how to discuss this with them. I just didn’t think for a second that it’d be yesterday. I guess this is our official first “Got Caught Flat Footed” patented Parental moment. I am sure it won’t be our last.

3 comments:

  1. Well, boo. Actually, I am a bit darker than the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, the blond haired blue eyed dark one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The blond haired blue eyed dark one?" Is Freddy Etta James?

    ReplyDelete